2020 Municipal Election
We are working to ensure residents will be able to vote in the 2020 election in a safe and accessible manner. As there are many unknowns about the state of the pandemic this fall, this information will be updated on a regular basis as we know more.
Mail in Ballots:
A Mail in Ballot Bylaw was adopted for the 2016 election and Mail in Ballots will be used again for the 2020 election. We are currently reviewing and updating this bylaw to make it easier for people to vote without needing to come in person to City Hall or a polling station.
Who can Run as an Election Candidate:
- will be at least 18 or older on election day;
- are a Canadian citizen;
- have been a resident of the City of Meadow Lake for at least three consecutive months before submitting their nomination papers; and
- have been a resident of Saskatchewan for at least six consecutive months before submitting their nomination periods.
Process for Nominating a Candidate:
Nomination papers will be available from the City Clerk's office in person, by email, or online. To be nominated a person must file their completed nomination paper with the Returning Officer or designate during the nomination period during normal office hours and on Nomination Day (October 7) until 4:00 p.m. when nominations close.
Contents of the Nomination Paper
- The name and address of the person being nominated, and the office they are being nominated for (either Mayor or Councillor, not both);
- The signature of at least five qualified voters of the City with their name and address;
- The candidate's acceptance statement, which is signed by the candidate and two witnesses; and
- New for the 2020 Election - a completed disclosure statement, which lists any potential conflicts of interest the candidate holds, must be filed along with the nomination paper.
- A voter may sign the nomination papers of more than one person.
- No candidate may nominate themselves.
- No person can be nominated for both Mayor and Councillor.
- A receipt for the nomination will be issued when the form is filed at City Hall.
Who can Vote in an Election:
- are at least 18 or older on election day;
- are a Canadian citizen on election day;
- have been a resident of Saskatchewan for at least six consecutive months before election day; and either
- have been a resident of Meadow Lake for at least three consecutive months before election day OR have been the owner of assessable land in the City for at least three consecutive months before election day.